Saturday, August 19, 2023

Daily Miracles

 Not long ago, I had reached the end of my rope on the stain removal of a favorite shirt of mine.  I had no idea of the source of the stain but had tried several options with zero results.  So my one last attempt was taking down from the laundry room shelf, my old friend, Clorox bleach.  Either the the shirt would disintegrate before my very eyes or I would have solved the problem and would get many more wearings out of my shirt.  I poured a bit in a small bowl and inserted the stained portion of the shirt and voila! the stain disappeared almost magically before my eyes in seconds and my only response was, "It's a miracle." And my mind continued to whirl.  Who invented this magical solution? How did it happen? How many years have humans been turning to bleach as that one last chance to solve this very problem? If you're wondering the same it was before the time of Jesus! And then my small brain continued its whirl around miracles.  What if we took the time to consider all the small miracles that happen every day? What if we took the time just to be present to all the goodness we witness in our mundane lives and rebranded them as "miracles?"  

Let me begin:                                                                                                                                      

  • The morning sunrise
  • The mixture of water, ground coffee, and a heat source to bring joy to start the day
  • My body that allows me to inhale and exhale each breath and take my morning walk
  • Beautiful flowers that bloom with only the addition of light and water
  • My children and grandchildren and their loving partners
  • The ability we have to video chat with our loved ones around the world and any time of day
Each and every one of these daily events becomes a small miracle as we view it through the lens of gratitude and ingenuity. I certainly don't have the skills to bring about the daily beauty of the rotation of the earth or of bringing a plant into bloom, let alone the fertilization of an egg that would result in the amazing people that have become my children and grandchildren. I am awed by each of these events; even the simply act of making coffee. Coming face to face with the simple removal of a stain by using a product that is accessible at any grocery store turned my perspective the tiniest of degrees and suddenly everything became a miracle that day. It was a minute action in a small glass bowl with no deeper thought than "what if I tried bleach?" There isn't a day that goes by that I don't thank the Creator for putting me in this place and time where I can be the recipient of each and every one of these daily miracles.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moving to Substack

 I am moving on and trying my hand at the writing game on Substack.  Please come along with me. Mild Musings